Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vocabulary Gap

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's the English language but I found myself stuck for a word today: one whose definition is "inadvertently saying the exact opposite of what you mean". We have words for doing it deliberately - "sarcasm" for example - but I can't think of any for doing it without meaning to. I think such a word would be useful (malapropism and parapraxis don't really cut it).

1 comment:

  1. Word Verification can be useful in supplying new words to fill the gaps.

    eg: tyfor
    axintste (though I'm not sure how to pronounce this one)